User Interface the junction between a user and a computer program. An interface is a set of commands or menus through which a user communicates with a program.
The user interface is one of the most important parts of any program because it determines how easily you can make the program do what you want. A powerful program with a poorly designed user interface has little value.
User Interface Design focuses on anticipating what users might need to do and ensuring that the interface has elements that are easy to access, understand, and use to facilitate those actions. User Interface brings together concepts from interaction design, visual design, and information architecture.
Interface elements include but are not limited to:
- Input Controls: buttons, text fields, checkboxes, radio buttons, dropdown lists, list boxes, toggles, date field
- Navigational Components: breadcrumb, slider, search field, pagination, slider, tags, icons
- Informational Components: tooltips, icons, progress bar, notifications, message boxes, modal windows
- Containers: accordion
The emerging popularity of mobile applications has also affected UI, leading to something called mobile UI. Mobile UI is specifically concerned with creating usable, interactive interfaces on the smaller screens of smartphones and tablets and improving special features, like touch controls.
At the most basic level, the user interface is the series of screens, pages, and visual elements—like buttons and icons—that you use to interact with a device.
- Lanoue, S. (2017). UI vs. UX: What’s the difference between user interface and user experience? | UserTesting Blog. [online] UserTesting Blog. Available at: https://www.usertesting.com/blog/2016/04/27/ui-vs-ux/ [Accessed 17 Apr. 2017].
- Regula Stopper (Overall), O. (2017). 1.1.2. Types of User Interfaces. [online] E-cartouche.ch. Available at: http://www.e-cartouche.ch/content_reg/cartouche/ui_access/en/html/UnitGUI_UI.html [Accessed 17 Apr. 2017].
- Usability.gov. (2017). User Interface Design Basics | Usability.gov. [online] Available at: https://www.usability.gov/what-and-why/user-interface-design.html [Accessed 17 Apr. 2017].
- SearchMicroservices. (2017). What is user interface (UI)? – Definition from WhatIs.com. [online] Available at: http://searchmicroservices.techtarget.com/definition/user-interface-UI [Accessed 17 Apr. 2017].
- Webopedia.com. (2017). What is User Interface (UI)? Webopedia Definition. [online] Available at: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/U/user_interface.html [Accessed 17 Apr. 2017].